Sunday, January 16, 2011

Knowing Spanish makes conversations much easier

I'm actually really glad that I took the time to learn Spanish while I was here. This way I haven't had to break a whole bunch of bad habits when speaking like other people have. But at the same time it has been really hard to connect with people. I think I'm finally starting to reach the point where I can have an affective conversation with someone in Spanish. I've started talking to the gate guard for about 5 minutes everyday after class. I talk to my taxi drivers and shawarma makers. I even talk to the guard outside of a Chinese restaurant because he looks so bored everyday. It's great practice. With all this said, I still am only at about an intermediate level. But I'm proud of myself.

Last night my host dad and I watched Spiderman 3 while drinking beers. I actually understood most of the movie and I've never seen it before. It was pretty cool! Then a bunch of the family went out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants here because I recommended it :). Of course dinner was at 10pm, but hey, it was still fun.

I spent this week trying to figure out what to teach my classes. We have 7 days left of class and I only have 7 students who returned for one class and 2 for the other. I'm thinking I'll do prepositions with a scavenger hunt for my basics and a newspaper project for the intermediates. I am really excited to have more students with more of a desire to learn. I completely understand that some students don't want to come back for 2 weeks when they've just had a month off. And the office probably only called some of them to tell them classes were starting again.

On Saturday I went to Cotacatchi. It is a city known for leather making close to Otavalo. It had interesting things but I'm not a huge leather fan. I'm glad I went but I don't think I'll go back unless I know someone who is dying for a purse or shoes.

This Wednesday I'm heading on an 11 hour bus ride to Guayaquil. Then to the beach on Thursday for my mid-service conference with WorldTeach. I'm excited!

1 comment:

  1. I was very impressed w/ how much spanish you spoke. It's pretty amazing!

    Please don't take an overnight bus... I'll be worried sick about you. Until you got to the beach. Then I'd be jealous!

    ReplyDelete