Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My first real sickness... And it wasn´t even amoebas

Thursday was a regular day of teaching but we didn´t have our usual Thursday night dinner because Natasha had already left for Quito and I was leaving for Quito early in the morning. On Friday I went to Quito and met Peter at his work. All of his coworkers were having a party for a client so I got to watch a mariachi band. It was a pretty cool office party. Then I went to lunch with Kate and Natasha and met a former Ibarra volunteer, Christine. Christine worked in Ibarra for 2 years and now lives in Quito with her boyfriend teaching English.

Saturday Peter and I went to Mitad del Mundo (the equator). It is about 30 minutes outside of Quito to get to the cute little town. The town is not actually on the equator but they decided to put the town and the monument there because the geography is better. The town has tons of shops and other cool things. You can also go to the top of the monument but you have to pay $3 so we didn´t do it (Ecuador is making me cheap). But as we were walking around we found a sign for a tour of an indigenous area with a sun calendar. We took a tourbus and about 10 minutes later we were up in the mountains at a pyramid that claimed it was on the equator and the world was going to end in 2012. It was so cool! They had art exhibits from native people and tons of other indigenous stuff. I definitely recommend doing that if you come here.

Then Peter, Natasha, Christine, her boyfriend, and I all went out for dinner and dancing. We went to a German bar and then to Bungalow. The German bar had giant foam hats and $10 German beers. I stuck to the $1 Ecua-beer. Bungalow was fun until Christine´s boyfriend got very drunk and was kicked out.

On Sunday I watched the new Karate Kid (so cute!) and came back to Quito.

Then on Monday I noticed my throat starting to hurt. I couldn´t sleep all Monday night and on Tuesday I had class at 8. I got myself out of bed and made it to class. As Tuesday progressed I got super sick. I had a fever of 101 and could barely move. For some reason I decided to still teach my classes at 4pm and 6pm. After the 4pm class I felt like I was going to die so Natasha took my 6pm class so I wouldn´t have to make it up. Then I went home and decided to take some antibiotics that my doctor in the states gave me. I don´t know if it was a good idea but I needed to take something. Then I slept for 16 hours and cancelled my Wednesday morning class. I was able to make it to my night classes though. All the sleeping really helped. I´m feeling much better now.

Ecua-ism of the day:
A closed door means STAY OUT. I´m not used to a closed door meaning this. In Ecuador you only close your door if you are sleeping or having sex. So if you are reading, doing homework, or anything else you keep it open. If a door is closed then no one knocks and thinks you are busy. I think this is weird so I still close my door when I´m planning and what not. But when I was sleeping for 16 hours no one bothered me. They said they were worried but because my door was closed they didn´t want to bother me. They wanted to bring me food and tea but they were scared off by my closed door. Who knew a closed door could mean so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment